Volunteer: Teach one or more of Math, Science, English, Computing, Physical Education, etc in a local basic school. Low fee for full boarding and lodging. We offer the most fun-filled volunteering vacations in Ghana, Africa.
Program participation cost starts from US$400 for two weeks (covers airport pickup, first night's hotel accommodation, in-country orientation, transportation to placement location, meals (3 times daily), accommodation near your placement location and 24/7 in-country staff support)Program participation costs can be covered using a number of scholarships available. There are a number of schoalrships available for African Americans.
Yes, you can volunteer as a single-subject or class teacher in an elementary, junior high (middle) or kindergarten (preschool), or help out in an orphanage. We also have internship and volunteering opportunities for medical and nursing students as well as aspiring medical students to volunteer in a local hospital.
Make the most of your summer, fall, winter or spring holiday abroad by volunteering in and exploring Ghana with VIGS-GHANA Volunteering!
Limited places available as at August 27th, 2011 so you might want to book your spot fast.
- VOLUNTEER ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER MATH TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER SCIENCE TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER CLASS TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER PRE-KINDERGARTEN (NURSERY) TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER KINDERGARTEN (RECEPTION) TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER ORPHANAGE ASSISTANT - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER HEALTH-CARE ASSISTANT - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER - Full Details
- VOLUNTEER COMPUTERS AND ICT TEACHER - Full Details
1. VOLUNTEER ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER
This program is designed for volunteers to teach English as a second language to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) as well as Junior High schools.
You can choose to teach the language to any one (or more) of eight different classes (or ages). The broad aim of the syllabus is to help the pupil develop the basic language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
2. VOLUNTEER MATH TEACHER
This program is designed for volunteers to teach Math to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) and Junior High schools based on the Ghana basic education curriculum. This curriculum is designed to help the pupil:
- Develop basic ideas of quantity and space
- Use basic mathematics and necessary strategies for solving problems encountered in daily life by recognizing relationships between numbers
- Reason logically by selecting and applying criteria for classification and generalization
3. VOLUNTEER SCIENCE TEACHER
This program is designed for volunteers to teach Science to Ghanaian school children in Primary (Elementary) and Junior High schools based on the Ghana basic education curriculum. The Science curriculum is designed to help the pupil to:
- Develop the spirit of curiosity, creativity and critical thinking
- Develop skills, habits of mind and attitudes necessary for scientific inquiry
- Develop the spirit of curiosity for investigating and understanding their environment
- Communicate scientific ideas effectively
4. VOLUNTEER CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION TEACHER
Help the pupil: Explain citizenship and community, Analyze critically issues in given situations, Make reasonable decisions in given situations, Explain the term 'Constitution', Explain how the Constitution is used to govern, Illustrate his/her role in sustaining the constitution, Explain 'Human Rights', Identify the fundamental human rights and freedoms of the individual, Describe ways in which the rights of the individual can be abused, Explain the need to respect the rights of others, Demonstrate ways of asserting his/her rights, Describe ways of claiming his/her rights etc
5. VOLUNTEER CLASS TEACHER (FULL TIME)
This program is especially suitable for professional teachers and students of teacher-training colleges. As a volunteer class teacher for one of the lower primary classes, you would in full charge of your class. You'll be teaching all the subjects: English Language, Math, Natural Science, Physical Education and Elementary ICT. If you would like to experience how it is to be a full-time teacher in an African country, this program is what you need.
6. VOLUNTEER PRE-KINDERGARTEN (NURSERY) TEACHER
Guide the children to: Listen to and differentiate between sounds in the environment; Make sounds using bottles, coins, bells, drums, shakers and other objects. Help the pre-school kids identify objects and the sounds that the objects make. Children make sounds from objects around them e.g. beating the top of their tables, pulling or pushing chairs, tables, imitating animal sounds bells etc.
7. VOLUNTEER KINDERGARTEN (RECEPTION) TEACHER
Help the preschool pupils to: Develop their listening skills, Expand their verbal communication skills, Develop reading skills and Acquire reading skills. Some of the activities you'd engage the children in are:
- Guide children to beat time audibly to rhythm during singing and recitation. e.g. clapping, beating on the drum, tapping the feet
- Children imitate actions and sound in selected songs, rhymes and poems
- Guide children to act or dramatize whole /part of songs, rhymes/poems to show understanding and appreciation. Note: songs /Poems/Rhymes should include those on HIV/AIDS, Gender issues and drug related activities
- Maintain children in the orphanage by giving them the necessary care and attention as their mothers would have given them. This is achieved by feeding, bathing and ensuring general cleanliness of the children
- Keep the girl and boys dormitories clean, plan extra-curricular activities, physical education, music and culture, indoor and outdoor games, morning and evening studies, organize excursions and so on
- Organize children for extra-curricular activities such as sports and games etc.
- Organize children fro extra classes after school
- Checking and recording patients vital signs
- Physician's consulting room
- Treating uncomplicated illnesses
10. VOLUNTEER PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Guide the pupils to perform:
Activities involving the pushing or putting (throwing) of round objects, e.g. balls, stones stuffed balls, etc.
Activities involving bouncing, hopping, galloping, skipping, arm swinging, etc.
Activities involving skip galloping, pawing, arm swinging, high knee picking, running on the balls of feet, etc.
11. VOLUNTEER COMPUTERS AND ICT TEACHER
The aim of this project is to help the pupils:
Practice double-clicking the mouse.
Practice double-clicking to open icons on the desktop.
Use the spacebar and backspace to type words.
Use Games Applications to reinforce mouse skills.
Identify the features on the desktop screen and state their importance.
Type passages using a text editor or WordPad.
Save documents with a name on the desktop using 'Save As' command.